The 9th Gloucestershire
Battalion(City of Bristol) Home Guard

Formed as 'A' Company Local Defence Volunteers in early June 1940 under Captain G.Talbot Plum with its HQ at 2 Beaufort Road, Clifton, to cover North Central Bristol (Central Civil Defence Area). The title LDV was officially changed to Home Guard on 30/7/40, by which time the company had been upgraded to a battalion. It was re-designated No.1 Battalion (City of Bristol) Home Guard in September 1940 and changed again on 1/2/41 when it was affiliated to the Gloucestershire Regiment, becoming the 9th Gloucestershire Battalion (City of Bristol) Home Guard, with its HQ at the Grammar School Ground, Kellaway Avenue. Lieutenant Colonel W. J. Barwell OBE took over as Officer Commanding on 15/11/41 and in early 1942 the Battalion HQ was listed at 99 Somerville Road, St.Andrew's.

The unit was primarily charged with the defence of Bristol Fort North. On 22/9/1941 the following works platoons, a total of 1270 men, were transferred from the 9th Gloucestershire Battalion (City of Bristol) Home Guard to the newly formed 16th Battalion which was to cover the Central Area of Bristol:- Bristol Gas Company (290), Bristol Tramways Co.Ltd (95), Evening World (30), Thrissell Engineering Co. (40), Government Training Centre (38), Bristol Tramways & Carriage Company's Motor Coach Platoon (attached to 9th Battalion) (156), Co-operative Wholesale Society (45), Bank of England (10), LMS Railway Company Ltd (105), William Butler & Co.Ltd (90), Christopher Thomas (87), Distillers Co.Ltd (84), Hovis (45) and John Lysaght's Ltd. (165)

Order of Battle 3/3/43

Upon 'Standing Down' on 1/11/44, the 9th Battalion with a strength of 574 (under Lt/Col W.J.Barwell OBE) had their HQ at Somerville Road, St.Andrew's Park; 'A' Company were at Ashley Hill; 'B' Company at Horfield; 'C' Company at Wellington Hill;; and 'D' Company at Wallscourt Farm.

Information supplied by John Penny
of Fishponds Local History Society